- What is Office 365?
Office 365 is a Microsoft hosted messaging solution that delivers the capabilities of Microsoft Outlook as a cloud-based service. This means your email services and data will be maintained on servers managed by Microsoft and accessible to you worldwide. It gives users a feature-rich and familiar access to email, calendar and contacts allowing access by PCs, Mac, the web and mobile devices.
- What are the Benefits?
While users will not experience a change from their current desktop Outlook e-mail look and feel, there are some improvements.
- Individual mailbox storage capacity will increase substantially to 100 GB. With the current system, the capacity is set 25GB for the majority of faculty and staff.
- Students, faculty, and staff will all use the same URL to access email through web browsers (https://outlook.com/ufl.edu)
- Better integration with other Office 365 services offered at UF, like OneDrive and SharePoint.
- Enhanced spam detection and improved digital security to protect your information.
- Additional “Out of Office” options and settings and updated Calendar features.
- Can I use my email during the migration?
Yes, the migration should be seamless, and you can continue to use your email until the cut-over time. At the cut-over time, you will need to close and re-open the Outlook application on computers. Outlook will detect the new settings when re-opened and automatically configure. For mobile mail clients, please follow directions located at http://helpdesk.ufl.edu/o365-email-configuration/.
- Will all my contacts, notes, etc. be moved?
As long as this data is stored on the server and not on your local mail client they will be moved.
- Do I need a new email client?
No, you can continue to use your existing mail client. However, you may need to update the settings after the migration. You can find instructions at http://helpdesk.ufl.edu/o365-email-configuration/.
We recommend the following clients:
- Windows: Outlook O365 edition
- OSX: Outlook O365 Edition
- Android: Outlook app
- IOS: Built-in Mail app or Outlook app
- Linux: We recommend using the Outlook web client at https://outlook.com/ufl.edu for a full-featured experience on Linux.
- Will mailbox and calendar sharing permissions be migrated?
Delegate permission will be migrated over, but unless all users with delegate access have been moved the permissions may not work.
- Will Distribution Lists carry over?
Yes, the lists will carry over, but you will need to manage them using a different interface. Please contact your department IT for help with this.
- Will I be able to share my calendar with students now?
Yes, once you have been migrated you will be able to fully share your calendar with other O365 users.
- I check my mail using a web browser. What will change?
After being migrated you will need to navigate to https://outlook.com/ufl.edu to check your email.